Monday, June 22, 2009

Lost Rewatch: Week 2 (Belated)

Man, I can't believe I've gotten behind already. I'm gonna try to catch up in time for this weekend, which means this post and the next one might be a little shorter.

It's unfortunate that the Rewatch schedule has "Walkabout" and "White Rabbit" split into 2 separate weeks. I really feel like they belong together. In fact, the first 5 episodes seem to be somewhat of a "Act I" for the whole season. Post-"Pilot," the episodes focus on three characters: first Kate in "Tabula Rasa," then Locke in "Walkabout," then Jack in "White Rabbit." All 3 characters emerge as leaders in their respective episodes. In Kate, we see her compassionate side and her adeptness at keeping peace. When Sawyer uses a gun to shoot the polar blear, Kate strips it right out of his hands to ensure that he causes no further harm. The rest of the crew on the "transceiver mission" elect Kate to be the one to hold on the gun. In "Walkabout," Locke emerges from the jungle after a seemingly transforming encounter with the Monster and a successful boar hunt. Finally, in what can be viewed as a climax if the first act, Jack emerges from his own jungle trek ready to finally be the leader everyone has wanted him to be, culminating in the famous "Live Together, Die Alone" speech.

"White Rabbit" is a very astute title then. Many have pointed out the multi-tiered significance of Lost's obsession with the works of Lewis Carroll, so I won't rehash. But I would like to point out the structural significance of a white rabbit, which means the end of an introduction. Going down the rabbit hole is a sort of head-first dive into Wonderland. And even though Lost begins in medias res, episode 5 still feels like the end of an exposition stage of the narrative.

At the same time, the thematic focus of the show shifts at episode 6, "House of the Rising Sun." (I'm wondering if the word "Rising" here could be a reference to "rising action".) Even though focus on particular characters remains a central part of the show, the next few episodes begin to revolve around the new community that these characters are forced to create. Episodes 6-8 constantly make reference to political and social ideas. A few quick examples:

Jin being handcuffed and virtually "imprisoned." Also, as Sayid approaches Michael regarding to talk to him about the whole incident between he and Jin, Michael sarcastically shoots, "Now what? I already gave you my statement, sheriff." (House of the Rising Sun)

Locke's unorthodox way of handling Charlie's drug addiction. When Charlie asks Locke why he doesn't just throw the heroin away, Locke replies "If I did that you wouldn't have a choice, Charlie. And having choices, making decisions based on more than instinct, is the only thing that separates you from him [points to a boar]" (The Moth)

The struggle over Sawyer's outlaw behavior, the use of torture and punishment. Jack says to Kate, "We're not savages, Kate. Not yet." (Confidence Man)

What's more is that Sawyer is seen with a copy of Watership Down, which is about anthropomorphized refugee bunnies who struggle over how to build a new community from scratch.

I'm going to have to cut this post short unfortunately, but before I do I just want to leave with something to think about. I'm working on a theory that perhaps this first season of Lost was intentionally divided into a five-part structure, like a play. I'm thinking that there may even be a literary tie-in in each "act" and that indicates transitions from one to another. Watership Down would definitely mark the transition from Act I to Act II. I'll see what else I can come up with as I continue watching the episodes.

One other thought: I noticed in these episodes that we are constantly seeing Sawyer chopping wood. With several allusions to The Wizard of Oz peppered throughout the show, it makes me wonder if Sawyer is some type of Tin Man, and his quest is to find a heart. More on that later.

Thanks for reading! Sorry it's so curt, but I am determined to not fall another week behind.

No comments: